Wednesday 13 January 2016

My Flip Videos

I now post most of my flip videos on to my Google Drive and these are automatically shared with my class from there. However, I thought it might be useful to post a couple of examples on this blog as a record of how they have changed over time.

I use 'Screencast-o-matic' to capture my computer screen and it also allows me to record audio. It's also free and you can either download it or it will will work direct from the web. My videos are simple, straight to the point and I no longer worry about making small errors on them. I find that the class need the video just to deliver the key learning point and, in class, we can work together to develop and embed that understanding.

So here is one I made today for our science lesson this afternoon about shadows. In the lesson, the children will be making a shadow puppet of themselves and then creating a puppet play of a lesson that teaches about how shadows work! Should be fun...


I generally find maths is an easier subject to make videos for as it is so fact and process-based. The vast majority of my flip videos are for maths but this is something I am seeking to change. As I teach Year 6 children, I aim to make my videos no longer than 6 minutes long...Year 5 would be 5 minutes etc. I think that is a fairly good rule of thumb.



I'm happy to share more of my videos - just drop me an email at mrvandereyken@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment